Friday 12 January 2007

lifemodel-uk

An odd thing to do for a living, perhaps. People react in different ways when I tell them. Most say, 'Oh, I couldn't do that!' Then they proceed to tell me that they can't sit still for long. Some people say, 'Oh, I used to do that - when I was a student. But I wouldn't do it now. Not got the body for it any more.'
So what makes a 46 year old woman with 3 children drive around the countryside in search of random groups of strangers in obscure village halls - and stand naked in front of them for 2 hours?
Well, it's interesting. I learn a lot about art. And to be honest, I always was good at sitting still doing nothing - as my mother would attest, were she still alive. I've finally found a way to be paid for it. And apparently I'm a very good model. I keep getting more work - to the point where I could almost call it my day job, if it didn't involve so many evenings....
It also gives me chance to muse, to meditate, to follow my own creative thoughts. You see, I'm a writer too. I'm working on my 1st novel. OK, to be honest, my 2nd attempt at a 1st novel. I've used my life-modelling experiences so far in one (published) short story, 2 (published) articles, and 2 (published or performed) poems. I currently use my long poses to work on inventing characters for this projected novel, working out their back-story and pondering how they will interact. While using yoga techniques and counting breaths to get through the sometimes extreme discomfort.
So - today I did a day's work at a local college, for the Art Foundation course. That means Young Adults, all in their teens I reckon - makes a change from posing for pensioners anyway. Fortunately I'm not looking to be flattered in their various renditions of my face and body. I'm perfectly at home in it and reckon I'm in pretty good shape for my age. Yes, I do work-out at a gym. The Life Model classes take place in a run-down prefab hut. The first time I was there it was raining and there was a constant slow drip onto the carpet in the middle of the floor. The window-frames are rotten and I get changed in a tiny cubicle at the back of the room constructed from 2 pieces of hardboard. There are 2 tutors- one who talks a lot, and one who is still in training. Today I had the one in training. He's sweet - buys me a coffee at break-time because I can hardly trot across the campus in a woolly dressing gown and leopard-print mule slippers to get one myself...
The first pose today involved leaning forward on a plastic chair set on top of a desk, with both arms on my knees and head slightly raised. Try it. See how long you can hold it without moving. I did 45 minutes. It hurt. It'll still hurt tomorrow. Fortunately after that he allowed me to take an easier sitting-upright position for the rest of the day. Because they are all learning and this is their first experience drawing a model from life, and they are working for a portfolio, the poses tend to be long. In most other groups and classes I sit for they are shorter - say, a series of ten-minute poses to warm up, then maybe half an hour at a time before a break. Some tutors like to challenge their learners with one- and two-minute poses, 'get the essence, which are the most necessary lines, do a drawing in 15 brush-strokes'. Then I can get really creative - poses on one leg, for example, or ones with my arms flung out in dramatic gestures.
I like the company of teens, but I can't work for the nearest college because my son goes there. Most of my work is about 20 miles away, although some of the occasional 'private' classes (ie not Adult Learning and Leisure) are closer- in obscure village halls, as I said. I like the driving really, but it does take time off my day. And means that my basic rate of pay works out pretty low. My dream job is to work privately for an artist (or two) who's working towards an exhibition, has a warm airy studio with pleasant music playing, pays me at least £15/hour, and is willing to collaborate with me on a joint exhibition/poetry performance...
The reality can be £45 for a day's work, which is hardly better than my other job- minimum wage in retail. I only accept that particular one because I get a lift there and back and a free lunch, it's cash in hand and the artists themselves are so appreciative. When I work for assorted educational establishments I get paid by bank transfer at the end of the next month, and have to fill in lots of forms to get it. It's still under £10/hour, which is what I aim for generally. I'm hoping my work from December will pay for my next year's car tax, at least.
Underpaid but thoroughly appreciated, that's me. Good thing I value creative activity over retail therapy then.

No comments: